Wednesday, October 23, 2013

How to Win a Bring the Drama! Contest On Polyvore!


How to Win a Bring the Drama! Contest

If you came to my blog, you want to know how to win a BRING THE DRAMA! contest. I’m going to give you the insider information on what goes into judging the contests and how you can make your set really POP out at the judges. No, I don’t just judge by myself. I have a few people who take turns helping me sort through all of the submissions to find the best sets out there.

TIP 1: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!
I know that the contests have a set theme but if you read the instructions carefully, you’ll usually find that the rules aren’t super tight. For example, for the current contest, “Dark Designs”, I wrote that you can submit sets with dark colors, mysterious sets, or Halloween themed sets. This means that the sets don’t just have to be dark, they can be bright and fun sets as long as they meet just 1 of the 3 requirements. I always leave enough room in the guidelines for people to be able to create their own thing. Which leads me to TIP 2…

TIP 2: CREATE WHAT YOU LOVE!
Even though there are guidelines for the contests, try to stay in a style that you love to create in. For example, I don’t do great sets with pants. I don’t know why but I can never get them to look right. So, if I am going to create a set for a contest, I make sure to create a set using a skirt, dress, or shorts. I also don’t do a lot of sets with dark colors. I just naturally prefer brights. So, I would focus on creating a mysterious or Halloween themed set using bright colors. Make sense?

 TIP 3: USE SHADOW AND LIGHT!
Part of BRING THE DRAMA! is using some special effects that give your set some flair. For example, I like to use little sparkles, shadows under shoes & clothes, and some light effects to give my sets some visual interest. This takes an average set and turns it into something special. You can look at some of my sets and see the little “extras” I use. Feel free to save them to your items and try experimenting with them in your next set!

TIP 4: ADD SOME LAYERS!
Some of the best sets are created in a way that makes the set appear to have dimension. This means that some items seem further away while others appear closer. This really increases the visual interest of your set and gives it some texture. Plain flat sets don’t POP quite as much. Adding layers is done by adjusting the size and placement of your items. You can achieve this by placing some items in front of others. Take a look at my sets on my profile for an example of what I’m referring to.
 
TIP 5: BRING THE DRAMA!
BRINGING THE DRAMA! means being unafraid to take risks and really express yourself. It doesn’t necessarily mean a crowded set with the most items in it. If you look back at past contests, I have chosen “clothes only” sets and simple sets as winners. You can BRING THE DRAMA! by selecting fierce clothing, dramatic photos, or staging your items in a bold and daring manner. After all, everyone has a drama queen inside of them just waiting to come out and play. This is your chance to explore your wild side!
 
TIP 6: HAVE FUN & KEEP SUBMITTING!
There is so much talent on Polyvore. And with over 300 members in the BRING THE DRAMA! Group, amazing sets are always being submitted. So, keep working on the tips I gave above and I’m sure you’ll win one of these contests. I pick the best sets, but I do spread the love around.

Well, I hope this has helped you all understand what the judges are looking for and, ultimately, increase your chances of placing in a contest. Still have questions? No problem! You can send me your questions by messaging me on Polyvore or email me at thegitgirl@gmail.com.
Until then….BRING THE DRAMA!

Gigi xo

No comments:

Post a Comment