Friday, October 18, 2013

Bring the Drama! Winner - dragonrescuer

Still homesick even after the weekly phone call.
Hey!
We have another Polyvore winner! This gorgeous set was the winner of my "Bring the Drama!" contest. This competition was to see who could create the most dramatic, yet artful set. The winner was Keely, better known by her handle dragonrescuer on Polyvore.  Below is our informative interview with her as we take the time to appreciate her set and get to know her better. Enjoy!

Bring the Drama: Where are you from?
Dragonrescuer: I'm from California's Central Valley. I was born in Sacramento and grew up in a small town called Galt.

BTD: What are you hobbies?

DR: I enjoy reading, writing (mostly poetry), playing board games (especially chess), badminton, listening to podcasts, watching movies, city exploration (history museums are my current addiction), and of course Polyvore.

BTD: Who is your style inspiration?

DR: Felicia Day's nerd chic style is a huge inspiration.

BTD: What are your favorite brand names?

DR: I can't get enough of the designs produced by the brilliant artists at Threadless.com. I also really love "We Love Fine" and Tokidoki t-shirt designs and have also been known to drool over some of the wares at ThinkGeek.com. I'm also a big fan of browsing Etsy and thrift shops for unique and spiffy duds. I really love Lane Bryant jeans. They fit amazingly on my curvy hips. I get most of my boring work clothes at Target and JCPenney.

BTD: How long have you been on Polyvore?

DR: My profile page says 8 months. Guess time flies when you're having fun. :-)

BTD: What do you like most about Polyvore?

DR: I like Polyvore because it allows me to explore fashion on my own terms. Being super nerdy, it took me a while to warm up to fashion as an interest because it seemed to me like just another tool for ostracizing and bullying those who don't conform to mainstream societal standards. Polyvore is remarkable in that it's this entire community devoted to fashion and essentially to consumerism, but also intensely invested in promoting self-expression and community building based on the fascinating ways in which we're all different and view and express even our common interests from our own distinctive points of view.

BTD: What was the title of your winning set and what was your inspiration for creating it?
DR: My set was titled "Still homesick even after the weekly phone call." It's a reference to the film E.T. in which the title character expresses his homesickness by repeating the request, "E.T. phone home?" Lately I've really been enjoying entering contests and allowing their topics to serve as a sort of prompt or restraint for creating interesting sets. The contest I initially created this set for was simply titled "Black and Yellow." I had recently found the image of the yellow alien girl and when I searched through my items for more yellow images I found the old-fashioned phone and it all just sort of came together from there.

BTD: Was this your first time winning 1st place in a contest? If not, how many times have you won?
DR: I went to my profile page and counted the number of wins. I've apparently placed 1st in a contest 23 times including this one, although given that I've only received 3 trophies in my time on Polyvore the participation in some of those contests was quite modest.
 

What's something cool about you that our readers don't know?
What a self-consciousness inducing question! :-) Hmm... I published my first poetry book a couple years ago. My friends think that's pretty cool. I also do a really mean karaoke rendition of "Mother" by Danzig, which is not so much cool as epic. Thanks for taking the time to interview me.


 DTB: The pleasure was all ours, dragonrescuer!
  

1 comment: